The first hospital in Pirmasens was built in the mid-18th century as a military hospital. This was the era in which, thanks to Landgrave Ludwig IX, the garrison town of Pirmasens was granted a town charter (1763). The civilian population was also permitted to go to the hospital for treatment. After the death of Ludwig IX in 1790, the hospital was disbanded and converted into a dwelling-house; this structure burned down to the foundation walls in 1850.
Throughout the revolutionary period, and for many years thereafter, Pirmasens was left without a hospital. Finally, in 1847, a small hospital of the town’s own was built; it steadily grew over the years, but ultimately it had only 26 sick beds.
By 1890, the population of Pirmasens had climbed to 21,000 as a result of the rapid development of the shoe industry. A new and significantly larger hospital was built on Lemberger Straße – just a stone’s throw from the current hospital. The facility opened in 1894 and was expanded between 1914 and 1960. The structure survived both world wars almost unscathed. Since 1991, that building has been run by Caritas as a retirement and nursing home.
Following a longer period of planning and consultations, the foundation stone for the modern-day Municipal Hospital of Pirmasens was laid in October 1981. The decision to build the new structure had been taken already in the late 1960s, however, when it became apparent that another expansion of the old hospital would only lead to an unsatisfactory result. When it was commissioned, on 16 January 1988, the newly erected building was presented as a modern hospital for advanced care. To this day, the Municipal Hospital of Pirmasens has developed into an important diagnostic, therapeutic and nursing service centre in the Southwest Palatinate region – thanks not least to additional expansions undertaken in the interim.
By way of comparison: a look at the present